Title I: Parents’ Right to Know

Under Title I Regulations, the parents or guardians of students attending Title I schools may request information regarding the professional qualifications of their child’s classroom teacher, teaching
assistant and paraprofessional staff. Please contact your child’s building principal if you have a question regarding the professional qualifications of faculty, teaching assistants and paraprofessional staff  members, including the following:

  1. Whether the teacher has met state certification criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
  2. Whether the teacher is teaching under the emergency or other provisional status through which state certification criteria has been waived;
  3. The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certificate of degree held by the teacher, and the held of discipline of the certification or degree;
  4. Whether the child is provided services by a teaching assistant or paraprofessional and, if so, their qualifications.

Written Complaint and Appeal Procedures

As required by Title XIV, the New York State Education Department (NY- SED) has adopted procedures for receiving and resolving complaints and for resolving appeals from decisions of Local Education Agencies (LEAs).

Information regarding the NYSED “Written Complaint and Appeal Procedures” concerning violations of Title I, Parts A, C and D, or of the General Education Provisions Act; or of Section 100.2(ee) Academic Intervention Services of the regulations of the Commissioner of Education are avail- able on the New York State website:


For further information relating to the “Written Complaint and Appeal Procedures” for the New York State Education Dept. and the Riverhead Charter School please call (631) 369-5800.